I was so sure it was going to work. The article said “How to Learn to Ride a Bike in 15 minutes.” The process seemed straight forward enough.
- Start on a gentle slope – check.
- Make sure it’s on a grassy slope to prevent scrapes – check.
- Helmet – check.
- Make sure the bike seat is low enough so their feet touch the ground – check.
- Let them glide down the hill and build momentum.
- Do it repeatedly until they can balance, then move to pedaling down the hill.
We didn’t get to pedaling.
How to Learn to Ride a Bike in 15 Minutes…or Not
He bravely followed our directions, letting his feet hang by the side and gliding down the gentle slope. He didn’t steer and keep the handle bars straight until we told him specifically to do it.
He finally seemed to understand the importance of steering instead of just letting the handlebars turn, turn, turn and fall. Continue reading