If you have dabbled in minimalism or read anything concerning minimalism, one of the benefits that is frequently cited is clarity. Whenever I read that word, I would sigh and think, “yes, I want that” but I didn’t really have clarity on why I needed clarity. Can anyone relate to that?
One definition of clarity is “clearness or lucidity as to perception or understanding; freedom from indistinctness or ambiguity.”
As I’ve been purposefully decluttering these past several months, I’m starting to experience the benefit of clarity in a small and practical way. Let me explain:
- The time-consuming task of decluttering the children’s toys, my books, and my clothes has resulted in less stuff and more space in my home. The more that I declutter, the less overwhelmed I feel.
- With more space and fewer items, I’m able to see the items in one place (versus multiple spots).
- Being able to see all the items collectively helps me to really see and feel which items are truly important to me.
- The less overwhelmed I feel, the more clarity and energy I have to evaluate whether something has true value to me in the present.
Clarity with Books
For example, now that my books all fit on one shelf of a bookcase, when I stare at the books I find myself considering them again. Why did I keep that book? Because you know the author and feel guilty about donating it. I can honestly say most of the books I have kept will most likely be donated after I read them again one more time.
Clarity with Clothing
Another example is my clothing. I have now edited my clothes down to items that I enjoy wearing. The other day I was wearing a skirt that I realized is slightly uncomfortable. I am now able to put it in the donation pile because I have committed to only keep and wear things that bring me joy.
One thing that is becoming clear is that the value in an item is not so much in possessing it, but in experiencing it, then sharing it.
I’m far from done with decluttering our physical space, but there is definitely progress being made.
What kind of clarity have you experienced in decluttering or minimalism? I would love to know!
FREE 7 Day Decluttering Course
If you want a SLOW but STEADY method to declutter this year, this is the course for you! Sign up for seven days of:
- Step-by-step guidance
- Tools and
- Renewed motivation to declutter at your own pace. Find what works for you!