One of my fondest memories growing up was having frozen TV dinners with my sisters when my parents went out on their own. Do you guys remember those? Salisbury steak or fried chicken with mashed potatoes and corn – with the little dessert in the center of the tray? Keep in mind now, we were Korean immigrants that didn’t eat a lot of American food so those TV dinners were pretty darn tasty to us.
Nowadays though, many families, including our own, are trying to eat whole, real foods that are nutritious and fresh. I’ve just been introduced to Snap Kitchen – the perfect place to pick up healthy meals to feed your kids on date night!
Meals Fed to Our Kids on Date Nights Past
During past date nights, my husband and I have usually bought fast food or pizza for our kids – something quick, no fuss, and relatively cheap. Or when my mother in law has babysat for us, she would sometimes cook for the kids. Now that my oldest son is babysitting for us for short periods of time, we knew we had to get pizza, or some other option for dinner because he certainly wasn’t cooking for his brothers!
Enter Snap Kitchen. Healthy meals that are made fresh daily from locally sourced and organic ingredients whenever possible. There are gluten free, Whole 30, vegetarian, vegan, and paleo options available.
My husband and I walked into the clean, bright, store and we were greeted by a warm employee who was very helpful in introducing us to Snap Kitchen’s popular menu items. There were breakfast, lunch, and dinner options, as well as all natural juices and healthy snacks.
Healthy Meals to Feed Your Kids on Date Night
We had all checked out Snap Kitchen’s menu online before going to the actual store. My middle son who likes to call himself a “meatatarian” wanted beef – so we got him the Naked Beef. My oldest son who enjoys Asian noodle dishes picked out the Dan dan noodles. I wanted to try the Sweet Chili Glazed Salmon, and I made my husband try the Bison Quinoa Hash which is Snap Kitchen’s signature dish. I chose the Crispy Chicken for my youngest son who is particular (read boring here) about what he eats.
What I loved about Snap Kitchen
- I love the fact that they use local and organic ingredients.
- I love that the meals are fresh and made in our city.
- I love that you can quickly heat the dishes up in the microwave or in the oven.
- I loved how tender the meats were.
- I loved how convenient it was to pick up the meals. To see if there is a location near you, click HERE.
- I love that the meals are not wasted. They donate the meals to PhilaAbundance, a local food rescuing organization in our city.
- I loved how flavorful the meals were.
- I loved that all of the dishes were under 500 calories.
- I loved that the small/medium meals were about the cost of a fast food value meal (and a whole lot healthier).
- I loved not having to cook!
Feedback from the Family
- My husband thought the Bison and Quinoa Hash was a little dry (although that could have been from me heating it in the oven too long – I’m not sure. I like my food really hot so kept the food in longer than the recommended time).
- I loved my salmon, especially the coconut rice that was with it – it was super flavorful.
- My oldest son thought the Dan Dan noodles could have had more noodles in it, but it was tasty.
- My youngest son was put off by the roasted carrots because it was covered in a kale walnut pesto (which is green – and he doesn’t eat green things). He eventually ate the chicken even though it had a little of the pesto o”
- My “meatatarian” LOVED his naked beef dish. He even ate the roasted cauliflower, which is a first. He wasn’t as fond of the snap peas – but the rest of us happily ate them.
I tried everything and it was all very tasty. As a family on a budget, we wouldn’t be able to eat at Snap Kitchen every week, but it’s at the top of my list to go here for a healthy dinner for our kids during our monthly date nights.
If you’re not on a budget, and eat out a lot – try Snap Kitchen! It’s way healthier than fast food options! This would be a great place too for the occasional healthy lunch for work!
Take a look HERE to see your local menu and the prices!
What do you do for your kids on date nights for dinner?
This post will be shared at these awesome link ups.