When we talk about focusing on experiences versus things during the Holidays, the goal is not just to reduce clutter and save money. The goal is to foster time that focuses on relationships. Homemade Christmas gifts are one way to foster relationships while making the gifts, as well as after, when experiencing the gifts together.
Instead of just giving movie vouchers as a gift, plan a time to go to the movies together. When giving a homemade recipe book as a gift, set a date to host a potluck with people bringing food made from the recipe book. Plan the experience gift for the time that you will be together during the holidays, whether that is a cooking lesson or an outing to the nearest ice skating rink with hot chocolate.
12 ideas for Clutter Free Homemade Christmas Gifts:
- Make a consumable gift that is your “specialty.” I love this recipe: 1 recipe= 4 different cookies.
- Make homemade vouchers to give to family members:
- coupons for babysitting,
- mowing the lawn or raking leaves,
- fixing things around the house,
- cutting hair,
- a birthday cake,
- a special homemade meal, etc.
- Make a photo calendar
- Make a recipe book of family favorites
- Plan a special outing during the holiday time when all the members of the family will be together:
- ice skating with hot cocoa
- Christmas light display
- local holiday play or event
13 Other Clutter Free Christmas Gifts:
- A family portrait – plan for a family portrait while everyone is gathered together.
- A cow, chick, or goat from World Vision or another relief organization
- Restaurant vouchers
- Movie vouchers
- Theater tickets
- Sports tickets
- Gift Certificate for a Massage
- E-readers like the Kindle
- Cooking lessons
- Music lessons
- Family membership to local museums
- Wine and Painting Night.
For other homemade Christmas gift ideas, hop over to:
- Winstead Wandering’s Homemade Christmas Gifts with Photos
- Cookin’ Mimi’s 15 Homemade Christmas Gifts from the Kitchen
If you’re hoping to simplify Christmas this year, try sharing this post and discuss what you as a family or group can do together. You’re bound to find a great idea or two to share!
What ideas do you have for clutter free homemade or purchased Christmas gifts?
Editor’s note: This was originally published in November 2015, but has been revamped and republished for the season!
PIN IT FOR LATER:
You Might Also Like: 3 Ways to Give Joy this Holiday
This post will be shared at these fabulous link ups.